Free Hand 2023
Composers and Performers
Join us for the Composers' Forum before the concert where composers and performers discuss their creative process through composition and performance.
3:30 - 5:30 PM Composers' Forum
8:00 - 10:00 PM Concert
Lim Yu Yao: Sun Dance
Performed by: Chiew Zhi Hong
Sayyid Shafiee: The Woman in Blue
Performed by: Yee Jian Hao
Tai Yun Ming: Interealmezzo
Performed by: Princess Maxwin
Wan Azlan: Piano Berat No. 1
Performed by: Ho Su Han
Jellal Koay: Dreaming
Performed by: Nyoman Vicki Riana
Zhiyong Tan: 9 Etudes for piano
Performed by: Artur Grigoryan
Sean Gan: L'Etoile
Performed by: Lim Kwan Yee
Fairuz Zamani: Phrygian Fantasy
Performed by: Hou Yao
Tan Jay Tze: At the Eleventh Hour
Performed by: Heah Zi Ling
Sebastian Ooi : Ombak
Performed by: Chong Wei Qi
Michael Ellison: Interlude on Todi
Performed by: Cheong Yew Choong
UCSI University Recital Hall, LG Floor, Block G, 1, Jalan Puncak Menara Gading, Taman Connaught,
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Book your tickets here:
CALL FOR SCORES 2023
MCC is proud to partner with UCSI Institute of Music for the 3rd Free Hand Contemporary Composers Piano Festival in September 2023. During the festival, two composers will be commissioned to write a new piano work which will be the set piece for Senior and Young Artist Categories for the UCSI University International Piano Festival & Competition in 2024.
This festival/competition is opened to all Malaysians both local and overseas. Hurry and submit your scores by 20 June 2023!
1. Malaysian composers aged 18 years and above are invited to submit solo piano works.
2. Compositions should be between 4 to 6 minutes.
3. The composition can be a new work or a work written after January 1, 2018.
4. The composition is written for one pianist.
5. The composition may include electronics. The electronics must be straightforward and only involves playback.
6. Prepared piano works are possible but will be performed on a smaller grand piano.
7. Composers can only submit one work.
8. Handwritten scores are only accepted if it's clearly written and neatly presented.
9. Previous prize-winning and commissioned works are not eligible for this festival.
10. Submit your PDF scores and mp3 recording (if available) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject 'Submission Free Hand 2023' by June 20, 2023.
11. Include a cover letter with your name, email address and a short biography of not more than 200 words. All information must fit into 1 page only.
12. Proof of citizenship and age either Malaysian Passport or Malaysian Identification Card.
13. There is an entry fee of RM50. Kindly transfer your payment to:
Persatuan Komposer Kolektif
Account Number: 574280616386
14. For Malaysian Composers Collective (MCC) members, there is no entry free.